Friday, May 16, 2008

To Robert Charles Colonial Agent of the Province of Pensylvania

Dear Robert,

I was so shocked when the beautiful bell that your smith, Thomas Lister of the Whitechapel Foundry, made had cracked on its first ring. I had the mortification to hear that it was cracked by a stroke of the clapper without any other violence as it was hung up to try the sound. We have just sent Thomas to find someone who would fix the bell for a reasonable price. You know the men here, trying to chip us off to get the highest bid, such a shame. Anyway, you must know that this bell was in fact what we needed for the State House. I say thank that smith of yours. God speed to your return, and may he look over you.

From Isaac Norris.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dear Robert,


Lovely news. Thomas has found two Pennsylvanian men to do recast the bell. They are John Pass and John Stow. Thank lord for their appearance. They have accepted to the pay of slightly over 36 pounds to fix the bell. I hope that the bell will be ready in time to ring on, I believe, July eighth, to summon the town to hear Colonel John Nixon. He says he has a great joy to tell us. Once I have more news on the recasting of the Bell I will happily tell you. For now I leave you with good wishes.

From, Isaac Norris


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




1 comment:

®ãymøñd°.ºŽéñg said...

The post is good but it could use a little revision. I think there might be a mistake with the first line.